Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Two Georges find new families

This weekend the weather was so wonderful and we spent almost the whole time outside. But on Saturday afternoon, for some reason, George decided to start snapping at Lucy. At first I thought that maybe Lucy had hurt her on accident and that is why she snapped, but then later on she leaned down to pet George and George tried to bite her face. I wasn't sure what to do, because she is always so gentle with the girls and Lilly loves her to pieces. I looked online about situations like this and it ends up that often dogs view small children as lesser members of their pack and often small dogs are more prone to biting children.

We were going to try and find a new home for George, but on Sunday we got up to find out that she had escaped again. I expected that she would come home by Sunday afternoon, but she didn't. By Monday I was fearing the worst that something horrible had happened to her. She has never been known for having any sort of common sense. Monday night a little after 10 pm, I got a call from Laura. She was at the gas station near our house and George was there. George was apparently running around the store being pampered and called "Missie". Laura brought her back, but she also said that there were several people that really wanted to give George a good home. Since we were probably going to have to give her away, I had Laura take her back and let them keep her. It was really sad because George couldn't understand why we weren't letting her stay. But I feel a lot better knowing that first of all George didn't die a horrible death, and secondly, that she has a home with people who will love and take care of her.

Lilly, of course, was very upset. So we took her today to the Animal Shelter to pick out a new dog. At first we couldn't find one, but the lady who worked there begged us to go look at this one little puppy. We had missed it because it was with all the rottweilers and pit bulls. It is one of their Gold Adoption dogs, meaning it has acted very gentle and the workers feel like it would make a good family dog. It was also scheduled to be euthanized this afternoon if it wasn't adopted. We took it out and played with it for a little while and it did really well with the girls. So we adopted this little puppy, who is not only a girl, but Lilly is insisting that we name it George.

The new George is getting sent to the vet near our house and they will call us tomorrow to pick her up after they have checked her all out, fixed her, and given her all the shots. Lilly has already picked out a collar, a leash and a ton of dog toys for it. Lilly is happy about it and is very glad that she is able to give this puppy a family.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me sad... Really your new dog is George the 3rd Just like the KINGS of England.. I had George the 1st and had to get rid of him for the same reasons, it was Jason instead of Lucy, I was 18 and cried and did not have another dog until Belvdeer who died at 7 from cancer and I cried.. If I ever live in a place again that I have room for a Dog I want a English Bull Dog... LONG LIVE KING GEORGE THE 3RD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the other George a girl? George the second and third are both girls. George the second is now living with a person who drives the Frito Lay truck and she gets to drive around town with him. George the third is still learning to behave and not chew on every single thing.

    Did George the first really go live at a farm? That is what Grandma tells me, but you never know with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George The 1st was a Male.. we named him after George of the Jungle.. He was a German Shepherd
    and showed up at the old house when i was about 10 he luved the freedom there and he had a best friend a big gold colored cat we had, when the cat died he was sad for weeks.Once we moved to Kings dr in 1974 he was old and didn't adjusted to it very well, to much noise to many cars and being in the fence drove him crazy... then jason got old enough to come outside and that was that... yes he lived out his life on a farm and saved the old guys life.. he fell in a pond and couldn't get out and George barked until help came.. it broke my heart to lose him.. i can remember sitting on the frt poarch and crying he was a good dog and i luved him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.